When you take your vehicle to an auto shop for a tune-up, you are essentially asking technicians to inspect your engine, analyze vehicle performance, and make adjustments as needed. The engine tune up checklist should include both preventative and restorative engine assessment, and final maintenance recommendations. These will vary from vehicle to vehicle based on age, mileage and unique manufacturer recommendations.
To give you a better idea of what happens during a car tune up, here is a basic tune up checklist:
1. Check visual appearance of spark plugs. Are they worn? What color are the insulator firing noses? An engine in good condition should have spark plugs with light tan or gray insulator firing noses. Any other color could be the sign of an engine problem.
2. Test the performance of spark plugs. What color is the spark? Is the spark properly igniting the fuel?
3. Check spark plug wires to make sure they are not hard or cracked.
4. Check the fuel filter to make sure it isn't clogged or dirty.
5. Check the engine's fuel pump for proper function.
6. Inspect the engine's fuel injectors to make sure dirt or other deposits are not restricting the amount of fuel that can be delivered to the engine.
7. Make sure fuel injector buildup isn't affecting how the spark plugs fire.
8. Adjust the engine timing and idle if necessary.
9. Check that the PCV valve isn't clogged or leaking.
10. Inspect the vehicle's points and condenser.
Since the age of the vehicle, number of miles, and maintenance history all uniquely affect a vehicle's service needs, it's important to remember that there is not a one-size-fits-all tune up procedure. Remember that some vehicles will require analysis of more engine components than those listed above.
To learn more about the tune up
procedure that's right for your vehicle, contact our ASE Certified Technicians at Rum River Automotive by calling (763) 389-3811, or go on-line at https://www.rumriverauto.com/ for more information. Since 1997, our auto repair shop has served vehicle owners in Princeton, MN and in the surrounding areas of Milaca